Skip to main content

What a difference a year makes

Faith, my daughter is 4 years old. At her school's Christmas program the kids sang Seasons of Life - the theme song from the musical "Rent". The song eloquently asks, how will you spend the 525,600 minutes contained in a year? Actually, the older kids sang and the little ones danced. Twirling in all her glory is what Faith does best! Although she's a pro at throwing a good temper tantrum too!

2013 was survival mode for me. Faith was 3 years old and tantrums were plentiful. The "trying" 3s left me exhausted, overweight, and glancing whimsically at how the terrible 2s, were not so terrible after-all. Despite mommy meltdowns, yes I admit, I had more than a few, Faith loved me...for 525,600 minutes in 2013!

What was 2013 like for you? Did you do good just to survive like me, or did you thrive? Maybe it was a combination of the two.

The question is, in 2014, how will you use YOUR 525,600 minutes?

How many of them will you devote to improving your health...spirit-mind-body?

With God's help, I've hit the re-set button and re-committed to Christian fitness. The journey back has been like trudging through the snow in flip-flops. But God is faithful, and I'm grateful.

 As I write this blog I'm at the gym and Faith is playing "happily"in the kid's area - a monumental feat! In 2013 my name was called so often over the gym intercom to pick-up my crying child, I stopped going.  What a difference a year makes!

Are you ready to hit the re-set buttom and make your health a priority?

When 2015 rolls around, I pray we'll be able to joyously say " what a difference a year makes...!"

Happy New Year

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One for the memory books

Hi ladies. This week has been one for the memory books. This week's focus in my 90-day journal is on health. Monday was about feeding our families healthy food. That day I learned Faith has high cholesterol. Tuesday was about limiting sugar and the author spoke about a condition called hypoglycemia. When I read the symptoms, it explained my anxiety and overall "feeling" lately. Wednesday God revealed I ran from my doctor in 2017 and never had my physical. I knew I needed to lose weight and had failed to do so. When I read my lab results from November 2016, I was pre-diabetic and had high LDL cholesterol (although total cholesterol was normal) Subconsciously I blocked that out. Moreover, I have symptoms of kidney problems, too much protein in urine (sorry to be graphic) and bumps on my back indicative of possible kidney issues. Needless to say, I'm numb! Truthfully, my stress levels and sugar intake have been off the chart the past 2 years. Luther has been strugglin

Here and There

You've probably heard the expression, "neither here nor there". It means of no consequence either one way or the other. This weekend I had the opportunity to be both here and there and the consequence was monumental. A friend's father passed away and the funeral was in Houston on Saturday; the same day as a women's conference at church (in Dallas) that I had been looking forward to attending for weeks. My soul thirsted to be in the presence of fellow female believers, and my heart wanted to support my friend. Which should I chose? To my surprise the Lord said "both". I flew to Houston Friday night and helped my friend assemble the programs for her father's services. She's a "craft" girl so the homemade programs reflected her father's exquisite taste in culture and provided a memorable reflection of who he was, and who she is as his beloved daughter. We finished assembling the programs as the hearse drove up to take us to the servic

Dealing with discouragement

I've been trying to loose weight for a while. Nothing major, but I do need to loose 10-12 pounds. It's true what "they" say, as you get older it gets MUCH harder to loose weight. Ten years ago I could exercise 15 minutes more a day or skip dessert and the pounds would fall off. Now, it takes disciplined eating, daily exercise and consistent sleep to loose 1 pound per week. Only to watch the scale add it back the following week because I splurged and ate 4 homemade tamales. If you've never eaten a tamale from a craftsman (woman) in South Texas you haven't experienced Tex-Mex glory. So, what do you do when you REALLY tried all week to "be good" and the number on the scale didn't go down the way you expected?" In the past I've done the exact opposite of wisdom, I've treated myself to a decadent dessert or chips & queso. Do you feel the Tex-Mex theme? My new approach is simple. It doesn't cost a dime, isn't spooky spiritu